The Stanford/VA Alzheimer's Research Center's long-standing partnerships with many local physicians, professionals, and community organizations allow us to offer a network of education and support to patients and families. These collaborations include the Alzheimer’s Association of Northern California, Family Caregiver Alliance, Kaiser Permanente, the Parkinson’s Institute, Rosener House Adult Day Services, local senior centers, and more. We have been instrumental in educating thousands of California patients, caregivers, and family members on the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease, Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI), and related disorders. For more than 20 years now, the Center has offered support groups to educate families on memory disorders, as well as to address psychosocial concerns.
Current Caregiver, Patient, and Family Support Groups
Tai Chi for Older Adults
- The group meets every Monday from 12:00 pm- 12:45 pm.
- This is a small group in which participants will learn about Tai Chi Chuan and its many physical and mental benefits, including stress reduction, gaining balance, and reduction of back pain. In this group, we will explore the basic principles of this ancient Chinese martial art and practice some warm-ups and basic movements.
Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) Group
- The group meets on the 2nd & 4th Wednesdays of the month from 11:00 am - 12:30 pm.
- This group is designed for individuals with a diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment (symptoms not meeting criteria for dementia) and their family members or friends. This group focuses on 1) education, 2) communication, 3) management, and 4) psychosocial concerns.
- Seminars meet on the fourth Wednesday of each month from 10:30 am -11:30 am.
- These are monthly informational/educational seminars given by professional staff addressing a variety of topics pertinent to memory loss and caregiver issues. These seminars are open to all participants and their caregivers and will include a question-and-answer session.
Palo Alto Veterans Affairs Health Care System
3801 Miranda Avenue
Building 6, Conference Room C258
Palo Alto, CA 94304
For further information, please contact :
Shamala Kanchan, M.D.