The Stanford/VA Alzheimer's Center's long-standing partnerships with many local physicians, professionals, and community organizations allow us to offer a network of education and support to patients and families. These collaborators include the Alzheimer’s Association of Northern California, Family Caregiver Alliance, Kaiser Permanente, local senior centers, and more. We have been instrumental in educating thousands of California patients, caregivers, and family members on the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease, Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI), and related disorders. For more than 20 years now, the Center has offered support groups to educate families on memory disorders, as well as to address concerns about memory in individuals with a family history of dementia.
Current Caregiver, Patient, and Family Support Groups
Addressing Memory Issues: A New Perspective
- The goal of the group is to increase insight into memory issues and develop greater coping skills as participants learn from each other in a supportive environment. The group’s agenda will respond flexibly to the needs of group members. Training in mindfulness skills will be offered. Meetings are led by Dr. Shamala Kanchan, who has extensive experience treating memory disorders.
- The group is primarily designed for individuals between the ages of 45 and 70 who have a family history of dementia, who care for a relative with dementia, or who are worried that their own memory may become worse. Potential members should not have a diagnosis of dementia or MCI.
- The group meets on the 2nd & 4th Tuesdays of each month from 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm. Current flyer.
- Location: Building 4, 1st Floor, Room C150A
- These informational/educational seminars are given by professional staff and address a variety of topics pertinent to memory loss and caregiver issues. Seminars are open to all participants and their caregivers and will include a discussion on practical ways to address memory problems and issues that might contribute to their development.
- Seminars meet quarterly on Wednesdays from 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm. The next meeting will be on December 14, 2016, please RSVP to (650) 858-3915 by December 12th. Current flyer.
- Location: Building 4, 1st Floor Conference Room, B-106
Palo Alto Veterans Affairs Health Care System
3801 Miranda Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94304
Who do I call for information?
Please call Virginia Dao
(650) 858-3915 or
(650) 493-5000, 1, 1, ext. 66121